Wednesday 13 May 2015

Practical magic


A couple of years ago, my husband gifted me a kitchen blowtorch on my birthday. The year before that, it was a refrigerator. I know what you're thinking. That these are hardly romantic, unique birthday gift ideas for your spouse. But really, I think sometimes he actually picks something only he knows I'll love.  The blowtorch was one of them. The refrigerator, not so much. But, let's face it - candles melt away and you can always pick the wrong shoe size. So, I guess he takes the worry out of selecting the best gift for me by picking something he knows I'll always love - a practical kitchen equipment to weave some magic.

Although I was very excited about the torch, I never really used it much. Just limited to the occasional de-moulding of fridge set cakes and desserts. I am not sure why. And then one day, as I was getting all set to create a sugar crust on homemade creme brulee, I discovered that the gas had run out completely. So, I abandoned the fancy dessert idea and just made creme caramel instead. Don't get me wrong, I like creme caramel a lot but who is not in love with the very sophisticated and very classic creme brulee? I also felt very disappointed in myself for letting the torch just lie there in a dark drawer, alone and forgotten . 

Recently, we refilled the gas in the torch and I finally used it to make that crisp top of just burnt sugar on a ramekin filled with baked custard. It looked like a dream and tasted as good. While creme brulee is a straightforward recipe, its seductive secret lies in creating the burnt sugar top that contrasts with the soft and creamy pudding. Torching it is what makes it memorable and restaurant quality. Now, the torch is my inseparable companion. I am using it to caramelize meringue peaks, make fruit garnishes and melt cheese.

For next year's gift, I think I would really love a pasta maker!



Orange Creme Brulee -


Ingredients:

1. Granulated sugar - 1/4 cup
2. Egg Yolks - 4 nos
3. Cream - 1/2 cup
4. Milk - 8 teaspoons
5. Orange Zest - 1 tablespoon
6. Castor Sugar - 2 tablespoons


Method:

1. On a heavy bottom pan, heat on gentle flame the following ingredients - granulated sugar, cream, milk, egg yolks and orange zest. Make sure you don't boil but just heat through until the sugar has dissolved.

2. Strain this mixture into two ramekins.

3. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Place the ramekins on a baking tray. Pour some hot water on the baking tray such that the bottom of the ramekins are sitting submerged in the hot water, thus creating a water bath. The steam from the water will fill the oven and keep the custard moist, so that it doesn't crack while it bakes.

4. Place the tray with the ramekins in the oven and bake for approximately 20 mins, or until the custard is just a little jiggly in the centre.

5. Take the ramekins out, cool them and place them in the fridge. 

6. When cooled, sprinkle castor sugar evenly on the baked custards, use the kitchen blowtorch to caramelize the sugar and create that hard crust on top. If you want a harder crust, you can wait for this first layer to harden and then repeat the caramelizing with another tablespoon of castor sugar on top.

2 comments:

  1. Shouldn't you be inviting samplers when you are experimenting with new equipment??

    Your story made me smile - thanks for sharing!
    vijji

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point! And thanks so much:)

      Delete